- This topic is empty.
12th December 2020 at 19:48 #25637Angela YoungGuest
The World’s Weirdest Sideshow Acts
by Francine Hornberger
- Author: Francine Hornberger
- Language: english
- Release date: April 5, 2005
- Format: paperback, 221 pages
- ISBN: 9780806526614 (0806526610)
- Genres: history, biography
- Publisher: Citadel Press
About The Book
Here spectators will see Atasha the Gorilla Girl, Combustible Kira, Lionel the Lion-Faced Man, Otis the Frog Boy, Serpentina the Snake Girl, and more than forty other legendary sideshow acts. From P.T. Barnum’s albinos and “Siamese” twins, to the traveling oddity museums linked to circuses and carnivals, to a whole new generation of “carny kids,” Carny Folk reveals the strange, fantastic, and misunderstood world of the side show attraction. This captivating anthology pulls back the curtain on fifty of the most famous side show celebrities of all time, revealing the astounding, the curious, and the little-known facts behind such subjects as:
– Joseph Carey Merrick: “The Elephant Man” claimed that his deformities were caused by the shock his pregnant mother experienced when she was crushed under the feet of an elephant.
– Melvin Burkhart: The “father” of “human blockhead” acts, he could actually drive a spike or an ice pick into his head without flinching.
– Bettie Lou Williams: Born with two bodies — one head, four legs, and three arms — she made her debut in Robert Ripley’s first “Believe-It-Or-Not” Odditorium at the 1934 World’s Fair in Chicago.
– Tom Thumb: Discovered by P.T. Barnum in 1842, the singing, dancing sensation stood 25 inches tall and weighed a mere 15 pounds.
TXT Carny Folk Francine Hornberger buy cheap iOS on Book Depository. PDF ebook Carny Folk. Hardback book Carny Folk read online on Dymocks. MOBI Carny Folk by Francine Hornberger download on reader.